Tuesday, May 24, 2011

At 2:11 AM a year ago, a child was given...


Shortly after she was born on Monday, May 24, 2010


...and we named her Ruby.  Ruby Rose Cook.  Ruby, because we liked the name.  When we were engaged and whiling away the hours on a long road trip to St. Louis, we talked about names we might give to children we would one day have.  We went through flowers and gemstones just for fun and then both said, "Ruby...yeah, I actually like that.  Ruby!"  Rose, because it is Allen's mom's middle name, and it has some nice alliteration with Ruby (and they are both shades of red).

At the park by Lake Oswego
As I type, she is cruising around the living room, so close to being able to walk.  She is saying, "bep, dep, dat, hada!" and other sounds.  I don't know what she means by them.  She needs a diaper change, a bottle, and bed, but I just had to write on here how much I love her and how I just can't imagine life without her. I often have to remind myself that she was a gift to us from God.  Not something that He owed us, not something that we applied for and won on our own merits.  He has the power to give life...and take it. I am very glad that He gave this life to us to cherish and nurture.  My prayer for her is that she would grow in stature and in knowledge and love the Lord.  Any other talents, accomplishments, or traits are secondary to that.
"Here I am!"

No comments:

Post a Comment