Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Take it away, Derek Webb

This Too Shall Be Made Right
by Derek Webb

People love you the most for the things you hate

and hate you for loving the things that you cannot keep straight
people judge you on a curve
and tell you you’re getting what you deserve
this too shall be made right



Children cannot learn when children cannot eat
stack them like lumber when children cannot sleep
children dream of wishing wells
whose waters quench all the fires of Hell
this too shall be made right



The earth and the sky and the sea are all holding their breath
wars and abuses have nature groaning with death
we say we’re just trying to stay alive
but it looks so much more like a way to die
this too shall be made right



There’s a time for peace and there is a time for war
a time to forgive and a time to settle the score
a time for babies to lose their lives
a time for hunger and genocide
this too shall be made right



I don’t know the suffering of people outside my front door

I join the oppressors of those who I choose to ignore
I’m trading comfort for human life
and that’s not just murder it’s suicide
this too shall be made right

I can't really say it any better, but I will make it more personal:

I don't know the suffering of people outside my front door (and I live less than a block away from a homeless shelter, so this is actually literally true)
I join the oppressors of those I choose to ignore (child laborers who make my children's cheap clothing; gay teens who have been reviled and driven to suicide; women who have chosen or been forced into the sex industry; addicts of all varieties) 
I'm trading comfort for human life, and that's not just murder: it's suicide. 
and this too shall be made right 

Dear God and everyone else I've hurt, please forgive me for being a hypocrite.  Please forgive me for participating in the culture of death in my own ways.  Lord, please help me to promote a culture of life and to remember that doing so means doing more than just slapping a bumper sticker on my car and calling it good.  It calls for self-sacrifice, better choices in a whole lot of areas, and most of all, the mercy and compassion of Christ.  A tall order…I'll never make it on my own. 
Thankfully, this too shall be made right.  




2 comments:

  1. It's so hard isn't it? It's easier to proclaim our values than to live them. But the first step is acknowledging it and taking one step. Just one step. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to just close our eyes, isn't it? But ignorance is not an excuse.

    ReplyDelete