Friday, February 7, 2014

7QT: Books for a Snowy Day

I took pictures of our snow adventures today, but now I can't find my camera connector cable (because I don't have a fancy smart phone that can just email pictures to the computer or whatever the heck those things do.) So, those will just have to wait for another time. For today, enjoy some books that are perfect for reading on a snowy day!

 We just read this tonight. Virginia Lee Burton must have had a soft spot in her heart for machinery, because she also wrote "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel." Katy is a big red tractor that saves her city, the city of Geoppolis, from a humongous blizzard with drifts up to the second story windows! A sweet, simple story, and any child who likes maps and city layouts will love the illustrations. This is the kind of book you can spend a long time just looking at all of the little details in the illustrations.

(Hopefully) you'll all be expecting me to name this one. It's just such a classic! I love Ezra Jack Keats's collage style artwork, too. Hmm, why don't I own this book yet? Must rectify that situation…but I remember reading it often in elementary school and probably before that, too.

Truth be told, I would be very content to read this book ONLY on snowy days (which we get very few of around here, hint hint). It's one of those add-on books: this is the coat I wear in the snow, this is the zipper that's stuck on the coat I wear in the snow, etc. So why is it on my list? Well, after wrangling Ruby and Max into their many layers today like the main character in the story, it was only too true to life not to enjoy it!

The story part of this is all well and good but it's the illustrations that I love. I just really admire the art of Barbara Lavallee. Her style is Picasso-esque but completely warm and not at all off-putting. It's more daddy than dada, if you will.

If you read this previous post, you knew this book was going to have to make the list. It's so sweet, so charming…and wordless books are great for little chatters like Ruby, who really enjoys hearing the dialogue I make up and making up her own.

It's now taken for granted that no two snowflakes are alike; but somebody had to figure that out! Here's the story of the man who made that discovery, through some pretty painstaking good old observational science. It's always nice to find non-fiction books for children that are not only informative but a pleasure to behold.

Okay, so this isn't a picture book per se, and there are plenty of non-snowy things that happen in it, but there is lots of snow, too! This is the first book in the Laura Ingalls Wilder series and it takes place in the Big Woods of Wisconsin, so there's quite a bit of snow. I remember reading it with no small amount of envy as a girl in St. Louis, because although I was born in Wisconsin and lived in Michigan, I was too little to appreciate it much in those snowy places. It always looked delicious when they made the maple candy by pouring hot syrup into the snow and then eating the hardened pieces. Everything about that book made frontier life seem somehow romantic, even though I'm sure it was anything but!

Thanks for following along!  Tune in next week for more great books!
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

1 comment:

  1. I wrote an article for CM on The Snowy Day a few years ago, we love it so much! Have fun snuggling inside!

    ReplyDelete