Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I found my jam...

…and its name is Jazzercise.

And I am not ashamed.

Well, maybe I would be if I still had to wear this ensemble

I'm on day two of doing a morning Jazzercise workout at the community center near my house.  They have childcare to the tune of a buck per child (more reasonable than hiring a babysitter for an hour) and it's all of five minutes from my house.  

For the record, our instructor did not wear this outfit
I had never done it before yesterday.  In fact, I had been skeptical that it would be any fun at all.  But my desperation to get some form of exercise nearby drove me to look at the website and watch a few videos of the kinds of moves they have in their routines.  

We didn't get to this one yet…perhaps it is advanced
I guessed that not only could I handle the basic assortment of moves (jazz squares, skips, kick-ball-changes, plies, etc.), I liked the fact that it was all set to music and that it was always getting changed up and there would be other people in the group I could watch and learn from.  

Yesterday morning, off I went.  And boy, did I get sweaty fast.  I don't think I've had that level of aerobic exercise in years; probably not since college.  I had forgotten:
  •  how good it can feel to work up a sweat in physical activity
  • to push right up to my physical limitations and try to do just one little increment better
  • to know that with every session I attend, the easier it will get and the more I'll be able to do. 
I don't think I would ever have signed up for a class like this 10-15 years ago.  I would have been too self-conscious, too afraid of messing up and looking foolish in front of other people.  Now, I don't care that much if I do.  For one thing, it's all women, and most look to be somewhere between 30 and 50 and moms. That's my demographic, baby.  

This guy hasn't shown up yet
There were even a few ladies who looked like they were over 60, and they were kicking butt and taking names.  I'd like to be in that kind of shape at that age (and now)!  

The point is that I'm really excited to have found something that is nearby, kid-friendly, fun, challenging, a whole body workout, and involves dancing (which I love to do, anyway).  It's good for me, it releases endorphins, and it gives me an energy boost for my day. What's not to love?

I could almost feel the rainbows emanating from me while I jazzed it up today!
(And no, I'm not a paid shill for Jazzercise.  Just happy to find something that works for me. I'm not cool like all you runners and yogis out there.)



5 comments:

  1. Every. single. poster. cracked me up!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too, wow, those are hilarious. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those posters are really too much! And for the record I don't think your instructors are *allowed* to wear that outfit any more. I met an instructor once, and she said they are trying up date their look. They have a very strict dress code. I so wish I had that kind of silly good for me fun nearby! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, it's hard to see why they feel a need to update their look…or not!

      Delete