Thursday, May 1, 2014

Small Success Thursday

Apparently there is a link up about small successes. Sounds like my life!  Here's my small success of the day: I went to work out, even though I felt like I had a million other things that I could get done during that hour (well, hour and half, once you figure in getting there, getting the kids checked in at the playroom, going home, etc.).

But honestly, I probably would have wasted a lot of that time doing the mindless internet two step.  Facebook, Gmail, Facebook, Gmail, Facebook, Gmail, etc.

It's so dumb.  But I just slip into it.  It truly is mindless.

Look, my love for Jazzercise is no secret.  I always feel better once I get there.  I never regret going, even on the days when I think I can't do one more rep of squats or plies or whatever.  In fact, I always feel much perkier and have a lot more pep in my step afterwards.

Why, then, is it so hard to get myself there most mornings?  Why is it hard to want to do things that I know are good for me, and why is it easy to make excuses that I'm too busy to do something I know will help me?  It's crazy, right?

Yep.  So am I.  I know the right answers but I still make the wrong choices.  Sounds suspiciously like St. Paul's dilemma (and everyone else's.)

What's the escape hatch from this crazy cycle?  Humbly admitting the problem and my own inability to fix it and asking God to take over.

C.S. Lewis wrote, "How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been; how gloriously different all the saints."  Isn't that a fascinating thing to consider?  All tyrants and conquerors have in common their selfishness and their self-centeredness.  It's the very thing you think would cause them to be quite different from one another.  And all the saints have something in common: surrendering self to Christ.

Following your own desires ultimately makes you just like every other selfish person.  Following Christ's desires increases the good qualities that make you you.  Just the kind of paradox that God rejoices in.

Well, now that I've shared that oh so original deep thought with you, it's time to go wrangle the small ones.

Oh, and p.s. my other small success was getting my article for Real Housekeeping submitted more than one day in advance!  Baby steps, people, baby steps.  Thankfully Rhonda is a forgiving editor!

3 comments:

  1. I love how your last name is "Cook" and you have a cooking column on GH! I checked it out and love chickpeas; this is amazing. I'm so glad you joined in the "Small Success Thursday" posting, and I have to admit, I procrastinate when it comes to exercising too (my body, that is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Jeannie!

      Delete
  2. But honestly, I probably would have wasted a lot of that time doing the mindless internet two step. Facebook, Gmail, Facebook, Gmail, Facebook, Gmail, etc.

    Sounds to me like someone needs to get on Twitter and Tumblr!

    I'm just kidding. For your own sake, please don't get on Twitter and Tumblr. It is too late for me, but you can still get out.

    ReplyDelete