Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Summertime Dinner Lethargy? The Slow Cooker's Got Your Back!

I can go for very long stretches of time without eating meat (as can the kids).  I could be good with a salad every night.  But no one else around here would be fine with that, and Allen gets antsy without some meat on the daily.  Luckily for me he has pretty cheap taste as far as meat goes: poultry, lunchmeat, and hot dogs.  This means that at least once a week I need to get my act together and cook chicken.

That's fine and dandy in the winter, when a nice warm meal in the stove is a pleasure. But in the summer, it's hot and I don't want to be standing over the stove or turning on the oven.  Oh, and I don't have a microwave, so unless I remember the day before to take out the chicken from the freezer, it's going to take some extra cooking time and therefore extra heat.  What to do?

Let the Crock Pot do all the work and take all the heat, that's what!

In the morning I'll put in a couple of frozen chicken breasts and douse them liberally with some kind of tasty salad dressing (I particularly enjoyed Brianna's Chipotle Cheddar and also Brianna's Ginger Mandarin).  If I'm feeling adventurous I might add some vegetable.  I set the Crock Pot on low, put on the lid, and let it just cook away till dinner time.

And if I don't remember to do it in the morning, I can still get away with getting it started in the afternoon and turning it on the high setting.

We've eaten the chicken over rice or noodles, in salads, in wraps or sandwiches.  It is so versatile and SO easy and so only-using-one-pot, which is a plus in our dishwasherless lives.

Who knew that salad dressing in a slow cooker would be a summertime lifesaver?

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm inspired especially since I still have no oven!!
    krystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm inspired especially since I still have no oven!!
    krystal

    ReplyDelete