Saturday, February 2, 2013

*Facepalm*

Allen told me about an interaction he had with someone. It made me sad, and not just because I'm a teacher.

The song "All-Star" by SmashMouth came on the radio.
Guy: Hey, when you hear this song, don't you immediately think of "Shrek?"
Allen: Oh yeah, totally.
Guy: Yeah, that's how you know you're a parent.  You associate songs based on what kid movies they are in.
Allen: Well, I've seen Shrek, but my kids haven't seen it.
Guy (shocked): Seriously?
Allen: Yeah.  Ruby only watches about twenty minutes of Curious George before she gets tired of it.  Then she goes to read a book.  She actually likes reading books more than watching videos.
Guy:  Hmm.  You might want to get that checked out.  That's not normal.  Kids love TV.

Sighhhhhhhhhh.

Hey, nothing wrong with watching TV on occasion as a kid or a grown up.  And I'll be the first to admit that when life gets crazy, Ruby gets to watch a lot more videos.  Example: we just moved and have a newborn.  A couple hours of Baby Einstein videos?  Okay!  Example: Mommy has stomach flu.  Watch Elmo on Youtube?  Go for it!  Example: We are on an airplane.  Bring it!

But if it isn't normal for kids to prefer books to TV, then I don't want "normal."  I'll take literate and abnormal, thanks!


1 comment:

  1. Props to you for raising weird kids. Reject misplaced cultural norms and values!

    ReplyDelete