Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Plus Side of Smart Phone Technology

Look, I can be a big grump when it comes to smart phones and cell phones.  My husband and I use our cell phones (no landline) but they are very basic and not "smart" by any stretch of the imagination.  They don't even send or receive picture messages properly.  That's fine with us.  I get irked when I see people--especially my students--being fully absorbed by whatever is on their phone screen instead of interacting with the rest of the world.  I want to avoid a smart phone as long as possible, because I know I'd get sucked into its hypnotic power just the same as everyone else.  I know that basic phones someday will go the way of cassette tapes, mimeographs, and dial up internet, but for now I'm sticking with my "dumb" phone.
Yet there is one thing that I am thankful that has arisen from cell phone technology being what it is: it has made being generous more of a knee-jerk reaction in times of crisis.  There are so many ways that you can donate money to disaster victims (such as those in Oklahoma right now) by texting to a certain organization or donating to web campaigns.  If we're going to make it easier to indulge our vices via technology (spending too much time/money/energy online or on vapid entertainment), at least we can make it easier to practice some virtues.

No comments:

Post a Comment