Monday, October 31, 2016

Everything's better with scrap metal: Halloween Edition

In our neighborhood...
My mom was quite the inventive costumer, although her tools of the trade were more along the lines of cardboard refrigerator box/paint.  I don't remember a costume request that was too outrageous for her to pull off.  I rarely asked to do really spectacular things because I preferred fancy dresses.  I think my biggest production costume was being a motorcycle chick, complete with sandwich-board style motorcycle.
My brothers were the ones who consistently throught up neat things.  Some that I remember:
*a refrigerator
*a kitchen sink
*a Lego brick
*a Pepsi can
*a Hawaiian punch box
*a box of McDonald's Fries

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those were the biggies.  One of the things I particularly enjoyed was that in the refrigerator and kitchen sink costumes, my mom incorporated a way to make the candy holder part of the costume.  In the sink, for example, there was a bag underneath the drain hole which caught the candy.   I've never had the opportunity to incorporate that creativity...until this year.

Max had a hard time deciding what to be for Halloween.  This is partly because we nixed anything that is evil.  We try only to have costumes that are morally neutral or morally upstanding (we'll just consider Batman to be on the good side and leave aside his tortured soul for the time being).  Max wanted to be a vampire, and after that was ruled out, a "rooster that killed people."  I'm not sure where he got that notion: cock fighting?? 

Finally, Allen told Max he'd make him a robot costume, which was satisfactory to Max.  Specifically, he wanted to be "an electroful robot."  When your dad is a scrapper, this is easily managed.  Allen has a whole bucket of little odds and ends for such purposes.  Allen started with a getting an empty water cooler jug and cutting off the top and bottom. He ended up having to cut it down the middle in order to fit it on Max.  At first he attached dryer vent directly onto it to make the arms...but it seriously limited Max's arm mobility.  He didn't much care for it.


Back to the drawing board.  He removed the dryer vent and widened the armholes a little bit.  I hot glued on quite a few bits of scraps here and there.  Then in the back we taped on a plastic tube which originally held spaghetti noodles and taped on some dryer vent. This became the candy chute, which of course had a gauge (non-functional, but cool nonetheless).  I used more dryer vent to make greaves with wheels attached and sleeves studded with battery-powered mini LED lights (Dollar Store find!). Finally, I spray painted a helmet silver and glued more scrappy wires on.  Here was the final product:


And some close ups:

Note the awesome lightbulbed arms!


The water jug was called Sparkletts, which seemed perfect for an "electroful" robot!


The candy meter!
On to Ruby's costume.  Ruby loves princesses with a passion, so it was a natural choice when we were given a Princess Aurora outfit some time back.  The greatest appeal of dressing as a princess means that she gets to wear makeup for the occasion.



Allen told her to make a kissy face...looks like Max followed suit!

As for Ben, he requested to be Batman, but I didn't realize this until a few weeks ago.  He just said, "bat!"  I thought he meant the winged mammal.  But one day we were in a store and he saw some Batman merchandise and pointed at it and said, "I be that bat!" Mystery solved. It was nice and easy.  He wore black clothes, a furry hat (I know Batman's cowl isn't truly furry, but this is what we had), and a black cape which I made by cutting away the front and arms of one of Allen's old black shirts.  I printed out two Batman logos on yellow cardstock, then affixed one to the cape and one to the shirt.  Easy peasy and pretty cute!


For reasons unknown, when Allen asked Ben, "Who are you?" as he took the picture, Ben yelled, "I BATMAN!" and lifted up his shirt.  

"PUT YOUR SHIRT DOWN!"

"Okay, okay."

"What's wrong with lifting up my shirt?!" he seems to be thinking.

The caped crusader and his haul of candy

I just love this picture of him!  Man on a mission.
For home decor, we got a pumpkin from the Flower Farmer in Canby.  They have a cute pumpkin patch with a hay bale pyramid, train, and animals for petting (including the softest rabbit I have ever felt!)
I did the carving today,which explains the prominent use of triangles, because those are easy, and I don't like complicated carving.   
Triangles...everyone likes them...triangles.
 These were the pumpkins we grew in our garden, the "Ghost" variety that were white.  Each kiddo painted their own.


Mercifully it was not a rainy Halloween, but we still didn't have a single trick or treater! Perhaps next year...



No comments:

Post a Comment