Monday, September 17, 2012

Good Morning Girls

5:07 AM is the time right now.  Allen is up getting ready for an early morning work meeting, and Max is stirring in his bed, but not actually awake.  Why am I up, especially on a day I don't have to go in to work?
Because of Good Morning Girls!
I found it by chance while perusing Pinterest a few weeks back.  GMG is an online outfit where women gather into groups, do a Bible study in the morning, and share their insights electronically (via Twitter, Facebook, email, even Skype).  I signed up because I need to be part of a group for the whole Bible study thing to actually happen, and if there weren't 60-something other pairs of eyes waiting to read my post, I'd still be sleeping right now.  Yay accountability! We are using the SOAP method, which stands for
Scripture
Observation
Application
Prayer.

I thought it would be fun to do some or all of my GMG study on the blog as a way for others to link up.  If you want to get in on the action, why not join up here as part of a little mini sub group, since I think registration is closed for the larger groups?  Hey, I might even open it up to boys if there's interest!
Here is today's Scripture:
"Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, to the saints and faithful brethren who are at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father.  We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love you have for all the saints" Colossians 1:1-4, NASB
Observation:
Paul is beginning his letter, but he's putting more effort into it than just writing "Dear so-and-so," as we would today.  I looked up some information on Colossae to get a sense of the saints and faithful brethren to whom he wrote.  They were living in a city in Asia minor (now Turkey) that was already becoming a shell of its former grandeur, yet was still wealthy and comfortable.  There was a special kind of wool dyed there that made the town noteworthy and well-to-do.  It was on a major trade route and as such was host to many different ideas, religions, and philosophies.  There was a Jewish enclave and the Christian church there was mostly composed of Gentiles.  Angel worship had apparently become a problem for the believers there, and there was a legend going around that the archangel Michael had visited the city and stopped a flood from destroying it.  So, Paul is taking pains to stress the pre-eminence of Christ over angels, perhaps by calling Jesus by his title of Christ (messiah, chosen one).  I notice that in these verses he takes care to connect the relationship between God as Father of Jesus and Jesus as our Lord, in whom we should be putting our faith.
I also notice and that Paul and Timothy are giving thanks to God and praying always for the Colossian church.  That would be an encouraging thing to hear read aloud from this letter.  I imagine that it would be today like a church receiving a letter from Billy Graham or some other pastor well-known to the American church saying that he was specially grateful for them and praying always for them.
I like how Paul says that he is an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God; for anyone who remembers exactly how Paul received his commission--so to speak--it most definitely was God's will turning Paul's plans upside down and making him do a 180 from his former stance of killing and persecuting Christians.
Application:
I confess that I don't spend much time in prayer, and that's silly and wrong.  I have so much to pray about, and not just in terms of personal supplication (God, please help me with this and that).  I, like Paul, should be thinking of others I know in the family of faith and praying for them.  I should be giving thanks to God for their faith and their love.  I should also be wishing them grace and peace in God, and should act accordingly to bring grace and peace to them.

And the prayer will be between God and me!
Thanks for reading along!

2 comments:

  1. Hello!! It's good to read your post on this! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I had similar applications. I really want to be considering others and seeing them as faithful brothers and sisters, and as saints. I am with you - I don't pray enough. If we are not praying, how is being a Christian beneficial in day to day life and actions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love you have for all the saints." I could see how this part could almost be a subtle admonition to the receiver(s). If what you were saying is true, Jenny, that the people in that place were dealing with angel worship, I wonder if this part has a ironic undertone to it.
    Anyway, I'm reading your posts, as well as the scripture if you put it in there, and intend to follow along the whole way.

    ReplyDelete