Sunday, May 18, 2014

Answer Me This (with photos of beardless Allen!)

The questions for this week…

1. What's the scariest thing that's ever been in your yard?
Hmm.  That's a lot of yards to remember. I can't think of anything actually scary, but I can think of lots of gross things.  For example, the house I grew up in had a yard which was publicly owned (city property), yet we kids still thought of it as part of our yard most of the time. We also lived near a park and every so often there would be illicit activity happening there and we'd find a used condom on the ground.  Of course, for most of my childhood I had no idea what they were, and I wouldn't be surprised if I picked some of them up to inspect them further. Yecchhhhhhhhhh.

2.  Beards.  Thumbs up or thumbs down?
Well, my husband looks good with a beard.
Barely there beard (also when he was 21)
I prefer it when it is a fuller beard, like so

Without a beard, he appears to be about twelve.
To be fair, his actual age was 21 in this picture…but I'd say 12 is still pretty accurate
Beards are a thing in his family.  My side of the family is not so beardy, and I never had a "thing" for beards.  But it really suits him, and I can't really imagine not loving beards now (although I have not yet found a deep love for the Duck Dynasty type of beards on young guys.  To me, it's a look reserved for Santa!  But I'm sure if Allen ever was able to grow out a long fluffy beard, I'd come to love that too.)

So, thumbs up.

3.  If stuff breaks, can you fix it?

It depends on the stuff involved.  If it is automotive or mechanical in nature, chances are slim to none.  If it is something that can be glued or sewn, then yes.  Thankfully, Allen can fix a lot more things than I can.

And now I must channel my wonderful English teacher Ms. Richardson and remind you all that using the word "fix" to mean "repair" is not accurate.  "Fix" is short for "affix", or so she maintained.  I break the rule all the time, but I felt the need to point it out.

4.  What was your first car?

First cars I learned to drive: 1999 Honda Odyssey (automatic) and 1980something Honda Civic Hatchback (stick shift).

First car I ever owned (bought at the princely sum of $1 from a generous parent at the school I worked at): 1980something Saab, stick shift

First car I ever bought that cost more than $1: 2003 Toyota Echo, stick shift (which is is still the car we drive today)

The moral of the story: learn to drive stick.  You'll probably hate learning, but you'll be glad you know how.

5.  How often do you eat out?

Not very often.  Date nights have been coming fewer and further between these days.  We do have a gift cert to the Olive Garden that needs to be used, though, thanks to awesome coz Chandra.

This leads (in my mind) to a follow up question or two: when you go out to eat, do you usually go to places you've been before and like or do you always try new places?  And when you go to a place you've been before, do you always get the same thing that you like or do you always try new things?

Ask that one, Kendra!

As for me, I tend to agree with Frances when she says, "There are many different foods and they taste many different ways.  When I get bread and jam [or in this case, Pad Prik King], I always know what I am getting and I am always pleased."

6. Why is your hair like that?

This is timely, and I solemnly swear that I did NOT look up this week's questions before this morning.  Trust me, I'm not that organized.  For the answer, click here.

Also, my friend Lauren pointed out that it would be a fun linkup to have everyone show pix of their hair over the years. Sounds like a job for Grace Patton...

1 comment:

  1. My husband looks a LOT younger without a beard, although I suppose I don't mind because it makes us look closer to the same age :P But now that he has a beard he NEVER gets carded and I still always do... They must think he's seriously robbing the cradle!

    ReplyDelete