Saturday, March 23, 2013

Compelled


What a relief it is to know
I’m a slave to Christ
Of all the masters I have known
I’m compelled to live this life
Free for you
I’m on the other side of something
I’m on the other side of something
I have a new hope that blows away
The small hopes I knew before
And at the end of the day I am yours
And I am compelled
You’ve written on my very heart
Where no man can legislate
The law of your love has taken hold
With your holiness and grace
There’s no mistake
I’m on the other side of something
I’m coming out the other side, the other side
I have a new hope that blows away
The small hopes I knew before
And at the end of the day I am yours
And I am compelled
I am drawn and driven, I am compelled
You have written it, I am compelled
You live in me
And I can’t help myself

That's the song that first popped up on Pandora when I clicked on the "Sara Groves" station, and what a great song it is to hear.  My first thought was, "Wow, good one, God."  Then I began to wonder how many people would scoff at my attributing the selection of a song to pop up semi-randomly on an internet radio station to a deity's choice.  
"If there is a god," they might say, "why would he/she/it be choosing a song just for you when there are so many more important things to attend to?"  
To which I can only reply that I will not take the cold comfort of your agnosticism away from you.  If it pleases you to imagine a world where everything is chance, go for it.  
But I believe what it says in the Bible, that God works all things together for our good.  And if playing a certain song at just a certain moment is going to cause me to remember Him and think about Him and not myself, then that counts.  God is not bound by time, space, or human restraints.  He can be everywhere at all times working all things together in ways that are beyond the wisest man's comprehension.  And for that, I'm grateful.

1 comment:

  1. "If there is a god," they might say, "why would he/she/it be choosing a song just for you when there are so many more important things to attend to?"

    If there is a god, why not? He/she/it is omnipotent by definition, so it's no skin off his/her/its nose. ;)

    I have a crowd of scoffing agnostics in my head. I listen to them out of politeness, but often I have to remind myself that their sheer numbers do nothing to assure the veracity of their opinions.

    ReplyDelete