Sunday, July 5, 2015

Answer Me This: 4th of July Edition

Linking up with the lovely Kendra at Catholic All Year...

1.  How did you celebrate the 4th of July?

In style!  We went over to Allen's aunt and uncle's house in Mulino for their annual 4th of July get-together.  The kids zoomed upstairs to the play room and only came down to snack on blueberries and chips and to have a bit of time outside in the sprinkler and kiddie pool.  It was a nice time hanging out with them and with Andy and Alishia, too.  After that, we went to our next event of the day, a dinner potluck and party at the Fuller's house.  Let me tell you, it was big!  There were about 50 people there, and kids outnumbered adults. Luckily, they have a nice, big, shady backyard and the kids had a blast playing with each other while the grownups chatted, ate, and relaxed.

Lauren, not being content merely to provide us a place and yummy burgers and hot dogs, ALSO planned a scavenger hunt for the kids and water balloons for a water balloon toss.  There were also sparklers and fireworks, but we didn't stay for that...the kids were much too tired and worn out.  It was a great time.  Thanks, Lauren and Sean!

We all fell asleep to the humming of fans and the crackling of fireworks.  It was actually pretty peaceful.

2.  Do you sunburn easily?
Yes, unfortunately.  I can be outside for about 10 minutes before I can feel my skin beginning to burn.  Summer involves lots of slathering with sunscreen for the kids and me before we do anything outdoors.  Max doesn't burn too quickly but my fair-haired, fair-skinned Ruby and Ben certainly do.

3.  Hot dogs: yea or nay?
Grilled? Yea!  I'm not a huge fan of boiled hot dogs, but when they are on the grill and slightly charred...yum.  I will eat them plain quite happily.  Yesterday I got to enjoy 2 hot dogs at lunch and 2 at dinner (not all with buns, though). Now I just have to figure out how to work our little grill well enough to cook hot dogs.  I know, I know...it's probably only slightly harder than boiling water.  But grills make me nervous. Maybe I should delegate it to Allen...

4. Have you ever personally set off fireworks?
Probably once as a kid visiting relatives who were into that.  We really weren't a fireworks family.  Picnic/grilling? Sure.  Fireworks? Not so much.  At least not that I can remember.  I think we did do sparklers on occasion, though.  But that's really all I care to do anyway.  I'm not a pyro.

5. Have you ever jumped off a high dive?
No.  Jumping off of a regular height diving board is terrifying enough.  I really, really don't like the bounciness combined with looking straight down to the bottom of the pool.  I think you'd have to pay me a lot of money to get me to go off a high dive, and I'd definitely hold my nose on the way down.

6. Do you do anything weird in your sleep?
Apparently I've said strange things, but the weirdest thing I do (and have done since infancy, according to my parents), is that no matter how the position I start out in, in the morning I always wake up to find my head under the covers and my feet sticking out.  Maybe it is for this reason that I don't like sleeping in beds that have been made (i.e. with the sheets tucked in tightly at the bottom and sides).

I also have become a left-side sleeper.  I used to only sleep on my stomach, but three pregnancies cured me of that (for the most part).

If you want to play along, click on over.  You'll also find next week's set of 6 questions.

And because a blog post without pictures is boring...


Glad to have our laundry bills cut in half thanks to Mr. Sun

Kind of a pretty sight, except when you find earwigs on your clothes

Flashback summer 2012, when Ruby was 2

Ruby shows off her "dice race"
(rolling a dice over and over to see which number wins and practicing writing.)
This shot also shows how bad her wandering eye has gotten, too.  :(

Trying to get a close-up of the writing.  Her writing is starting to take off!

Flashback summer 2012: Max was about 3 months

Max at 3 years old and considerably more rascally
(and teaching Ben every naughty trick he knows!)




3 comments:

  1. Okay, that covers thing is crazy. How do you breathe?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, my poor parents wondered the same thing...until I did it enough times to prove my existence possible. I think it's because I'm sensitive to light so it helps to darken everything. But yeah, bottom line is that I'm weird. :)

      Delete
  2. So glad you guys had a good time, it brings me great pleasure to be able to do it every year.
    And earwigs in clothes...you are not alone! *shudder

    ReplyDelete