Friday, July 17, 2015

7 QT (Plus 1!): Before and After House Pictures (FINALLY)

1. These are long overdue. We bought the palace last March; Allen spent May-July working tirelessly to take it from unlivable to very livable.  Throughout the course of the year there have been improvements made (painting; curtains; rearranging furniture and hanging artwork; and countless little fixes).

So why am I just now getting around to posting some before and afters?  Well, I think it's for a reason pretty common to moms: wanting everything to look *picture perfect*.  Of course, that's delusional.  My house is never going to be showing up on Better Homes and Gardens or Real Simple or anything like that.  I'm just not that homemaker, and this structure was not made for greatness.  As the bard might say, it had greatness thrust upon it.

Still, I kept lingering and putting off the "after" post.  A discussion at my mom's book group not too long ago helped me to realize that it was time to go Nike on this and just do it. The book we read, Momnipotent had a section which talked about how moms often sabotage themselves and their friendships by refusing to have other people over until their house is "good enough" or "clean enough."  All the moms in my group confessed that they had the same thought: that the prospect of having another family over for a playdate or a dinner meant feeling obligated to do hours of cleaning, and it was just easier not to get together.  This leads to isolation and isolation leads to mommy-burnout.  I was shocked to hear some of my mom friends saying that they felt this way.  I'd been to their houses and never saw anything that I'd call a mess.

So here goes: my house, imperfect as it is.  I did vacuum and pick up things, but anyone who feels like squinting will be able to tell that my kitchen floor is NOT washed and my windows are covered in kid fingerprints and there are piles of stuff to be "dealt with later."

2. Here's a link to the blog post I put up last March, complete with video tour.  It's about 5 minutes long and boy oh boy do you get to see the "before" nature of the house.  Wowzers.  The "before" pictures in the rest of this post are screenshots from the video just to highlight the before and after nature even better.  (Note: in the video I say that Allen will extend out the wall of the second bedroom but we didn't end up doing that.)

3. The Main Room (AKA Living Room by day, Mom and Dad's Bedroom by night)

Before:




During...

Allen, looking at this picture: "Yikes. Can't believe I freakin' lived in that."
And AFTER!


4. The Kitchen

Before...



During...


Screenshot of a Skype...you can see Allen in the bottom left corner here!
And AFTER!



5.  The "Small" Bedroom (now Ruby's Room)

Before...

It's pretty hard to see anything in here, but trust me, it was ugly.

During...
Reframing two walls of the room
And AFTER!


6. The Hallway and "Master" Bedroom (now the Boys' Room)

Before...




There's a hump in the floor.  Awesome. 
During...

Walls and ceiling textured by hand
(as opposed to a texture sprayer, which is a lot faster!)

Oh hi, mold.  Didn't expect to see you there (j/k we did expect that.)
And AFTER!
So much more well-lit!  So much nicer!!!


Here's a little clip to describe the renovation work in this room that we are undertaking in the next month or so:



7.  The Bathroom (AKA the room most in need of finishing touches!)

Before...
Very dark...like my soul upon seeing it


Couldn't get a stillshot of the tub but it was gross
During...

That water heater has since been replaced.
It was a 1983 model (like me!)
I don't have a great single after photo of the bathroom. Partly this is because it's hard to get a good picture of the whole thing, or even one whole wall because of the narrow entrance.  And partly because it is the room still needing the most work.  

BONUS TAKE #8: Improvements Still In Progess

We have three main goals for this summer:
1.  Complete the remodel of the bathroom and hallway storage areas.  This includes demo, framing, sheetrock, mud/tape, tile/grout, texture/paint, trim.
2.  Demo our kitchen floor version 1.0 (ceramic tile) and replace with version 2.0 (lineoleum).  
3.  Replace sections of drywall in the boys' room; maximize sleeping space by creating two built-in beds.  

I made a nifty video to show what's in order (best way to see the bathroom situation).  It's worth watching for the ABBA soundtrack if no other reason.  


Home Improvements, Round 2 from Jenny Cook on Vimeo.


We decided to set up a GoFundMe account to function as a wishlist/registry.  There's an icon of our project at the top of the righthand sidebar.  If you have any spare change burning holes in your pockets or were stumped on what to get us for Christmas or birthdays, look no further.  


Thanks as always for reading, following, commenting, and all the general interest, well wishes, and good vibes you guys send our way!  I am thankful for you all!









6 comments:

  1. Whoa. Y'all have been busy! I do love a good reno project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very busy indeed! Now we just need our own reality TV show...5 people, tiny house! ;)

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed. How did you do all that with kids around?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we didn't! I took the kids to St. Louis to see my family for 2 months last summer and Allen took time off work and worked on it night and day. Right now the kids and I are housesitting so he can do more of the same (except while still working his regular job as a carpentry apprentice.)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny, I don't know how you do it. Was the trailer a drug house prior to renovation? Allen certainly is a hard, innovative, worker. I pray he doesn't have a heart attack before 40. But your both young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much about the house's history. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if it had been a drug house...it was obviously in terrible shape and I don't know how much the lady who sold it to us actually lived there... Allen is a very hard worker indeed!

      Delete