Monday, October 24, 2011

Life with a Toddler is like Living in a Charlie Chaplin Movie

We watched a Charlie Chaplin movie with my class last year, and I was struck by the constant motion and the constant mishaps that ensued. 
As I write this, Ruby has just entered the room with a tube of diaper rash ointment in each hand.  I had just put those tubes away in the drawer where they go.  Prior to that, they were sitting on top of the toilet in the bathroom.  As I walked into her room to put them away, she was busily walking out with a jar of baby lotion. I don't know where she put it, but I'm sure I'll find it soon.  A few moments before that, she started carrying off dirty laundry that I was trying to put in the washer. 
Now she has knocked over a pile of papers for my class, systematically flung them around her, and looked up at me and said, "No, no!"  in exactly the tone of voice I would use to correct her. 
To be fair, she did pick them up for me (although this necessitated putting down the tubes of lotion in the middle of the floor.) 
There isn't a floor in the house that doesn't have something of hers on it.  She spends a good chunk of the day toddling from room to room, picking up one thing and then depositing another.  We also find things from Toby's room deposited around the house, especially his XBOX controller.  She really likes to get into that for some reason.  The older ladies at church all say things like, "My, what a busy girl!"  when she is in this mode.  "Busy" is a nice name for it! 
But even though I feel like I'm stuck in some sort of endless loop of putting away the thing I JUST put away five minutes ago that she got out again...I wouldn't trade it for anything! 
Now to go off to Gleaners to see if we can be helpful.  I'm wary that Ruby's "busyness" will not be an asset when the job is to sort out what food goes into what container, since she likes to take things OUT more than to put things IN...or put things into the wrong container.  But we shall see. 

4 comments:

  1. Excellent simile. That's a good one.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes one believe in Perpetual Motion....Remember when we were all yearning to see Ruby take her first steps??? ;) xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny, I'm just finding your blog after all this time- great posts! I'm laughing at the image of Ruby getting into everything and you spinning out of control- that's always the way it is at this age, it seems. And somehow I missed that you were expecting your second!!!! How exciting! Can't wait to hear what the sex is. I hope everything is going well. -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll work on getting the right hat, cane, and mustache for her... possibly for next Halloween?? :)

    ReplyDelete