Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tribute Tuesday: Kelly


We're back to Tribute Tuesdays after a week off.  Today I'm paying tribute to my friend Kelly Sue.  

At a retreat near Rockaway, Oregon
Kelly and I met through a mutual friend and soon discovered that we lived only a matter of blocks from each other.  This was back in the beginning of 2007 when I had moved up into SE Portland and was living in a house I shared with other girls from my church.  When we found out that we lived so near each other, we started to get together to go on walks, bike rides, and go to church together.  

Kelly and I would have seemed an odd couple: she's 18 years my senior (I think) and has had a very different life. In fact, her life was filled with hardships that I can scarcely imagine living through.  At the time that I met her, she was going through one of the hardest times in her life--unbeknownst to me--and I was going through a very trying time myself.  

I was in the middle of a wonderful but very demanding teaching program; my boyfriend at the time was having a hard time and although we did not live far away from each other we didn't see each other very often because of my work schedule and both of us lacking cars; I had been feeling very down and depressed, to the point of having trouble getting out of bed in the morning.  My doctor told me I could either push through it or try some anti-depressants, and for the first time in my life I opted NOT to "just push through it."  But it was still a really draining time.  

And then one day, as I was scrolling through the contacts in my cell phone, I saw Kelly's number.  I had only met her once before, but I had the inclination to call her and see how she was doing.  That was divine providence itself for both of us, as it turned out.  In our brief conversation, we discovered that we lived very near each other and arranged to meet up soon.  When we did, it was good for us both.  A friendship started to develop that I doubt either of us would have expected if you had written the details on paper.  An unlikely alliance, that was us.
Kelly's got the whole world Twin Rocks in her hands!

Eventually I moved away from Portland and got married; Kelly got married too (the summer before I did).  Our lives are so different now, and this is largely because we have both grown so much since we met.  I look at Kelly today and think that to look at her, you'd never know the pain and difficulty she had gone through.  She is one of the most vibrant and upbeat people I know.  She always has a smile on her face and she is constantly getting me or the kids little gifts or sending notes.  She is so good at being a friend.  Truly, I fail in comparison.  

Kelly's the one in the beautiful kelly-green dress!
Kelly is so gracious and so giving.  She is lit from within and has a very active life of prayer.  When she says she prays for me every day, I know she's not exaggerating.  Everyone needs a Kelly in their lives! I'm just so glad that I have her.  Kelly, thank you for being a cherished friend over these past 7 years.  You have enriched my life so much.  It has been a pleasure to know you and I am so grateful for your presence in my life!

In case you can't read the sand writing, it says "BFF"

Life in the Cookie Jar

No comments:

Post a Comment