Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Black Eyed Peas=Apparently Not That Lucky

I heard tell somewhere that eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day will bring you good luck.  So far, I'd like a refund.  We enjoyed a very delicious dinner of Hoppin' John, but when I came home from evening Mass I went into our room and discovered a leak in the ceiling right above our bed.  Drip, drip, drip.  Right onto the new mattress that we just got yesterday (which, of course, does not yet have a waterproof mattress cover.)  The water also splashed the heck out of two DVDs, my camera, and the charger cord.  Thankfully, I don't think those have been affected.  The water is also a really disgusting shade of ochre (dirty wash water, I think.)
I called the property manager, who suggested that we go upstairs to ask our neighbors to turn off their washing machine (which is right above our bedroom) and just poke a hole in the ceiling to help the water drain quicker.  I am assured that this really is the only option, but it just doesn't sound very comforting to hear your PM say, "Yeah, you might just want to take a screwdriver and pop any bubbles you see in the ceiling."  This is right over our heads! I do not want to die by being crushed by a washer and dryer that have fallen through a rotten floor!**  I mean, I love having an in-house washer and dryer, but not that much!
I know, I know, I'm overreacting.  It could be worse.  And I'll move on to cheerier topics, like the recipe for the Hoppin' John.  It may not be as lucky as advertised, but it sure tasted delicious.  I found a recipe here but I modified it quite a bit, so here's my version of it in case you'd like to try it.

Happy New Year Hoppin' John

1/2ish pound of sausage (I used hot italian, but you could use a different kind, or more if you like more meat in your dishes)
2ish cups of cooked black eyed peas
1 can of diced tomatoes and its liquid (you could probably use Ro-Tel to great effect, but I only had regular tomatoes)
1 small can of sweet corn, drained (or with its liquid if you prefer a more soupy dish)
1/2 red onion, minced
some celery stalks, minced
2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of brown rice
1 packet of Sazon Goya con culantro y achiote (optional, but we happened to have some and it was a nice addition)

In a big saucepan or stockpot, sauté the sausage, onions, and celery until sausage is cooked. Add tomatoes, corn, black eyed peas, and Goya seasoning packet, and stir to coat everything. Add the chicken broth and rice and bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook until the rice is tender (30-40 minutes), stirring every so often.
Serve with shredded pepper jack cheese if desired.
It turned out really yummy, and could very easily be made into a meatless dish by leaving out the sausage and subbing veggie broth for chicken broth.  I didn't bother to take a picture because, well, we all know how impressive my food styling skills are.  But it was very tasty, at least to the adults in the house.  Sometimes my kids will eat rice and bean dishes without complaint, and sometimes they'll only eat it with complaint.  And sometimes they just won't eat it at all.  Ah well.
Happy New Year, everyone!
**Note: apparently, this is not actually a danger I need to worry about, says the better informed hubs.  But then, he's also not afraid of spiders, so can we really trust him to be right about other things to NOT be afraid of?  Questionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment