Friday, February 28, 2014

7 QT: Team Awesome-o FTW!



Okay, once again linking up with the Friday Clean Up Link Up at Real Housekeeping and just generally reflecting on other miscellany from the week.  We'll start with the cleaning part!
If you didn't see it on FB yesterday, I urge you to take the 3 minutes to see the "before" video of our bedroom closets, if for no other reason than to laugh at my crazy eyes, terrible half-up, half-down, all wet hairdo, and liberal use of the phrase "heart of darkness."

The horror! The horror!

I have to hand it to my husband, who was so dedicated and so awesome as to stay up late, late into the night and help me clean and organize.  We ended up rearranging our whole bedroom and I think we are both happy with the results.  Here is how it all ended up:


I realize that the video was kind of dark, so here are a few stills to show the inside.
Not much we can do about the amount of stuff up top, but Allen did reorganize it, I think.  

Look! My clothes are accessible!

Don't you love that origami crane mobile?  The middle schoolers at Molalla River Academy made it for me before I went on maternity leave!  What a great present!
After rearranging the room, I think we were both wondering why we didn't just start out with the bed in the corner.  The obvious reason (at the time we moved in) was that it would be really annoying for the person on the inside part who would have to crawl over the other person to enter and exit the bed.  So we put the bed in the middle and left aisles.

But it wasn't long before the aisle on Allen's side was completely (and I mean completely, as in "can't see the carpet") submerged in stuff that had no other place to go.  He was having to crawl into bed anyway since the walkway was unwalkable; putting it up by the wall just made sense.

We did a bit of purging but mostly it was just Allen's brilliant Tetris-master rearranging skills that came into play.  You may be thinking, "Hmm, their closet still has kind of a lot of stuff in it besides clothes."  And you would be right.  But remember: our bedroom closet and the kids' bedroom closets are the only closets in the house.  There is no shed, no attic, no basement, no hall closet, no pantry, no nothing.  We have a storage bench outside and that's about it.  So we stuff as much as we can into the closets…and under our beds. Allen built and designed our bed frame so that it is about 2 feet off the ground and there are lots of totes and other things underneath.

Wherever you are, I hope you'll join me in raising your glass/coffee mug/sippy cup/whatever you've got to my husband, Allen Cook, and his amazing organizational skills and devotion to his wife's blog work.  Cheers!
I didn't take video of the kids' bedroom closet after organizing it, but here are pictures of it:
Clothes are actually hanging on hangers instead of being stuffed into boxes and bags

Toys (not currently in rotation) picked through, sorted, and rearranged

That girl has a million dresses…almost all hand-me-downs from someone or other! 

On another day I'll go through some of the "outgrown clothes" and purge some excess...

Ta-da!
There you have it…both closets organized to the best of our limited ability.  How satisfying!
I got some delicious honey whole wheat bread from our local produce store, Spicer Bros, and look what a cheery sight awaited me one morning while making some toast for breakfast!
Now that's what I call a Happy Meal!

Another adorable picture I can't help but share…a certain little someone fits into the giraffe suit we got for Ruby when she was this age.  Here's a little comparison: can you guess which baby is which?


Sadly, it appears that we never got a picture of Max in this outfit…what a pity!  It is so cute!

On a more serious note, there comes a time in a mom's life when she has to make the tough decisions.

  • Homeschool, public school, private school?  
  • Spanking, time-outs, revoking privileges?  
  • Vaccinations, delayed vaccinations,  or none?  
I faced one of the hardest today:  

Fanny pack or no fanny pack?

Look, I'm a child of the 80s and 90s, and fanny packs used to be so rad.  And then, suddenly, they became something that only moms wore (and not-so-hip moms at that).  I didn't really think about it again, until recently when I bought a used ergo which came with a matching fanny pack.  

"Yeah, like I'll ever use that," I chortled.  (Pride goeth before a fall.)

Then today I took all the kids to OMSI (our science center).  I would have Ben in the carrier, Max in the umbrella stroller, Ruby walking beside me, and the diaper bag/backpack on my back.  The purse portion of my diaper bag was not easily accessible with that load.  I remembered the fanny pack.  

Should I?  Do I dare disturb the universe?  

I dared.  And it was extremely practical. 

I won't win style points for it, but sometimes a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do. 


I have more to say about assorted other things, but my youngest is hungry and everyone else is getting antsy, so this mommy blogger is signing off for now!
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on the closets! That's pretty awesome, you two.

    And I didn't feel the universe being disturbed here in Michigan, so the fanny pack must have not been all that big of a shake-up. I'm thinking it's all apart of the embrace-the-80s motif you've got going on this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe… before you know it I'll be feathering my hair, applying tons of blue eye shadow, wearing stirrup pants, and humming "(I've had) The Time of My Life."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 80s are back? Didn't you know? That's what the kids dees days are doing.

      I remember being however old (six? seven?) and my mom and my aunt talking about that "Dirty Dancing"---and that my mom wouldn't let me watch it. Now I totally know why! Ack!

      Delete
    2. Blerrrggggg…everything about that movie makes me uncomfortable. In my opinion, the truly sensual dancing award would have to go to Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse in "Singing in the Rain" or Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron in "An American in Paris." Gene Kelly…le sigh.

      Delete