Thursday, August 4, 2011

Busy days

They are busy in a good way, of course; we're doing lots of fun things.  I shouldn't stay up late now because tomorrow morning we are embarking on a car trip up to Cleveland en route to Chautauqua.  Today Mom and Dad were running around and doing errands.  One of the errands was to take Ruby to the urgent care because we thought she had an ear infection; it turned out to be just a viral respiratory infection (AKA a cold).  Nothing to do but ride it out.  Ruby isn't letting it get her too down, though.  Mostly it just means she has a really runny nose.
Yesterday we went to the St. Louis Science Center and hung out there for a while.  It has a great room just for young kids called the Discovery Room (similar to OMSI's...and thanks to the OMSI membership, we got in for free and got free parking!)  Ruby enjoyed it a lot.  I don't have any pictures from it, though.  I think Mom might.
Last night I took Sarah out on a sister date.  We got all fancied up for the occasion.  I'm wearing one of Sarah's dresses, and I can't tell you how fun that is!  We even put on makeup and everything :)  The only way we could have gotten fancier was to straighten our hair.  Oh well.  We went to The Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant in the Loop (a rather hip and trendy part of St. Louis near Washington University).  When the waitress asked if we were here for a special occasion, Sarah said, "Sisterhood," which was perfect.  We're 12 years apart, and I haven't lived at home with Sarah since she was 6 years old.  Because of this, we're not as close as if we were only a few years apart, so when we get the chance to be together, we definitely value it.
 The food was delicious.  We ordered the "Ladies' night" special.  It was a four course meal: cheese fondue, salad, entree, and chocolate fondue.  We had a cheddar cheese fondue with veggies, green apple, and bread cubes.  The meats for the entree were dijon chicken and teriyaki steak, along with tortellini and shrimp (we both avoided the shrimp and the mushrooms).  You cook them in a bouillon broth at the table.  Very steamy, as you can see!
 Here's our entree cooking up...
 Four courses is a lot of food!  Thankfully I remembered that I could cook it and bring it home with me.  You have to save room for dessert at this place.
Since I chose the cheese type for the cheese fondue, Sarah chose the chocolate type.  She got "the Original", which is melted milk chocolate with peanut butter.  So rich!
We had a very nice time indeed, just chatting about this, that, and the other.  Mom and Dad did an expert job of babysitting Ruby so we could enjoy our evening out.  It was a fun evening.
This evening (Thursday) we had Mr. and Mrs. Gray over for dinner.  I know, I know...I'm an adult so I can call them by their first names (Madelyn and Rockwell), but it just doesn't seem right still!  Mrs. Gray--err, Madelyn--was my 11th grade English teacher and college counselor!  It made me think of teaching summer camp and telling my students they could call me by my first name if they wanted to.  I think it was hard/weird for them, and I can understand why.  Anyway, we had a delicious dinner of homemade pizza.  The "new" (new to me, although it's about 2 years since it has been renovated) kitchen has lots of space in it for cooking, and Sarah and Toby were acting as sous chefs to dad's master chef making pizza tonight.  I should have taken a picture of the scene!  Drat!  Anyway, it was a very enjoyable evening.  Alright, I've been working at this long enough; I need my sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment