Sunday, December 8, 2013

Advent Unplugged

I'm joining up with Haley over at Carrots for Michaelmas for her challenge to try Advent "unplugged" (i.e. off of excess distracting social media/Facebook/etc.).  Why?  Well, I don't have a smart phone, but if I did, I'm sure I would fall into the trap of being sucked into the eternal feed of trivialities masquerading as ALL IMPORTANT OMG MUST READ/WATCH THIS NOW AND SHARE IT. I'd like to think that I'd be above it, but I'm not.  As it is with just my computer, I way too often do the "email-facebook-blog-pinterest-email-facebook-other people's blogs-repeat" cycle.  Especially now that I am home full-time, I have been keeping the computer in my room so that I can't get on it all the time while the kids are up and about.  The house is a lot cleaner, too!

We haven't gotten the decorations out yet (bad mommy) although, honestly, we don't really have the space to put almost anything out/up.  So what I'd like to write about here is something near and dear to my heart called Advent Conspiracy.  Advent Conspiracy was founded by Rick McKinley (pastor of Imago Dei, where I went to church from 2006-2011) and two other pastor friends of his.  Here are the four basic principles:
Worship Fully.
Spend Less.
Give More.
Love All.
Here's an awesome video explaining it a bit more:
Anyway, one of the principles I've really enjoyed working on is spending less on presents by doing more homemade things.  I've always enjoyed crafting and what not, and now I get to incorporate my kids into that (Ruby, at least).  We spent some time making treats to give to our neighbors. 

Found the directions for these here

We used crushed mints and little holly leaf and berry decorations.

I'll admit that I'd rather that Ruby took naps every day,
but there is something special about doing a project with her while the boys are sleeping :)

Ruby takes a break to enjoy her mint "plate" she made at the playdate

Hope your Advent season is meaningful too!  








1 comment:

  1. Now I'm craving those treats! What a fun project to do with your girl.

    ReplyDelete