Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just Dance

It was field day today in the afternoon.  From 11:30-2:30, Laurel and I were in charge of the dance station. We had 25 minute rotations, and we did tons of dancing.  The macarena, electric slide, cha cha slide, disco, even a little swing...it was very fun!  It's fun to see the kids who get into it, the ones who don't, and the ones who say they won't but then can't help get into it.  But my legs and feet are aching!  I always forget what a good workout dancing is.  And then when I remember that in 8th grade I was in a 12 hour dance marathon...? Well, all I can say is that the endurance of a hyped up 14 year old with her friends is not to be underestimated.
I don't have pictures, but I saw lots of people with cameras, so I'm sure they'll be surfacing on Facebook soon.  They are sure to be gems!
I think that the dance station revealed one of my better qualities as a teacher: I am okay with being silly in front of my kids.  In fact, they tend to get into it more when I do.  I had a good time with them, and I definitely got very silly.  There were parents standing around and watching at times.  I wondered what they were thinking.  Were they thinking, "And we entrust our precious children's brains to HER?  What a mistake!"  Or were they thinking, "Wow, she can kick back and have a good time with them."  I hope they were thinking the latter.
Tomorrow is the last day, but today felt like it.  Kids were trading cell phone numbers, signing yearbooks and t-shirts, and giving hugs.  Tomorrow ends at 1 pm, but it will be chaos, as the last days always are.  There are also kids who aren't done with final projects, and Jeff and I have decided that they will have to return to school the next day and next week too if they don't get it done.  We'll see how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment